Skip to main content

Swimming the Corporate Ocean..:)

Being a new bee to the corporate world I had no clue how this world was functioning. The pros who were already there told it was a con world. Let me bring you a jist what I was adviced so that you can also take it or thrash it and learn by your own experience..:). It was worse than the worsest(forgive me for my stupid word, but tats how worse it is..:) ). Talents and brilliance are worth tissue papers in rest rooms here and what matters here is how much you sell yourself.  You should be able to sell yourself to your boss, sell yourself to every other shitting creature around without whose help you are just worth the shit you are. Beyond all this you should work a little just to show you are working..:). These are all secondary adjustments someone new to this industry has to make. But first thing first, HR.


Lot like me think HR in offices are for nothing but wasting time and energy. But the pros told me they were worth lot more crap than that. They run the office. They form the rules and unlike in college they are the only ones who have the privilege to break them. First thing is learn to always court a smile to your HR. You have laid the ladder of your professional career. Next most of the HR's are either dumb or too dumb (i was literally on the  floor hearing this..:) ) , but they assume they know every bit of technology in this world and the rules of every country of the world. More often than not you will hear them yelling "According to this act, this should be like this blah blah blah.." and at times when the employee is someone close to them, "i know its a rule, but certainly there are exceptions..". So its better not to over smart them and join people who are already in the exempted list.If not you can be rest assured you will always stay in the same position and more often than not, your appraisal will be over looked citing HR policies..:)


Next in the line is your Project Manager/ Team Leader or in any words your first boss. Generally they are of 2 kinds. One who treat you like slaves out rightly. Two who makes you believe you are the boss and suck all your energies and when your time is over throw you off like a bunch of sugar cane after taking out the juice. Of course there will be a third kind, but they are far and few. Being with the firs kind of boss is easy, but you have to be really careful about the second kind. They will treat you as if you are the next boss and more often tell you that you are more like him, the best fishing net for which any fish ll fall prey..:) Next he will assign you tasks and tell you are the most precious resource that he has and thats why are assigned more tasks and more often than not, there would be a personal example where he would boast what he did in his past. now you have to do what all he tells you to, but just be sure not to have any dreams that you will be his best associate and probably the one succeeding him. It will be in most cases broken by a pretty girl or if you were lucky by persons whom you had the privilege to teach the trade...


This is just the tip of the iceberg and there is lot more hidden, which may be I will bring out to light if ever i get one more round of gyan..:). And for people who want to find out the pro who gave me so much gyan, it tough to trace and even more tough to crack him..:). Heard he just now joined the exception list of his HR. So guys all the best for your professional careers..:)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My 10 years in Application Development

It's been around 10 years since I started programming. May be a bit more, if I have to include my first attempts at C programming in school. But it would be a grave insult to call remembering ten lines of code and just replicating it to put a star on the screen. I also did a course on Visual basic, but it was more gimmicks that Application development. But it was truly in the year 2007 when I started my Master in Computer Applications that I found a new flare for developing applications. 
I was very late to computers in general and even when I joined my Masters, computers were not really accessible to me. But when I joined my Masters where one is actually expected to hone the skills which they already have, but in case it was were I was learning the skills, initially it was very difficult. I was not sure what computers had for me nor I had a natural flair for programming. But the thing about computers that attracted me was the visual medium it gave. Initially it was just a door t…

Changing Timezone in Postgresql, Ubuntu

Timezone and locale are integral concepts that one should be aware of when implementing a System. For example. if you create a database in PostgreSql, it will use the default System settings for the database. Lets say you have a server in UK and your client is US. If the client tries to retrieve the current date or time, it is going to show the UK time and not the US one.
Today I encountered a different issue in our client place where the Ubuntu timezone and PostgreSql timezone were showing a incorrect values. Instead of Indian Standard Time (IST) it was showing Pacific Daylight Time(PDT). These are the steps that I followed to change the timezone to IST in PostgreSql and Ubuntu.
Changing timezone in Ubuntu:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdataYou will be prompted to choose the continent and then the area. Provided screen shots where we configure the location.
Use TAB key to navigate to the OK button and then press Enter.

The changes will get reflected immediately. To check it you can open a n…

Apps to install after installing Ubuntu

Here are the list of apps that I almost use on a day to day basis. This blog will be updated with the apps in the subsequent versions.

Docky (MAC like doc)Nylas N1 (Email client)SkypeVimPathogen package managerTwitvimNERDTreeSublime TextVLC Media PlayerSSHUnity tweak toolOpenbravo ERP stackJavaAntPostgresqlTomcatEclipse IndigoNode.js (useful for many plugins)Google ChromeNoobs Labs Ubuntu themes and iconsTeamviewerFogger App